Tuesday, March 9, 2010

And so it begins...

The maiden entry. I have really good intentions for posting regularly, but I know that unless there's a lot of activity, this will be just another project I started and never finished. And today, I'm willing to accept that and be ok with it and blog my happy tail off!

And welcome to you! So glad you found me! As I learn more about technology I will add more features and make this page prettier. My favorite color is green, and my style is somewhere between hippie-chic and biker cool, so who knows what this will end up looking like? Because sometimes I like the northwoods look, too, so. Get used to the wandering, as digression will be a regular feature in my writing.

I won't bore you with details, but as a way of introduction I was diagnosed as an adult several years ago, and have spent a lot of time researching the "disorder" and learning about myself and what I can and can't do. I am currently in the active process of proving why people like me should not choose certain jobs! I have an idea to do a post on ADD friendly jobs, and will do features on the destructive people in our lives-those in authority over us who criticize, blame and discourage us, and how to get out from under them when possible, and how to educate them.

Here's a happy fact: our "disorder" is only named a disorder because it is a handicap in certain situations. When you find your place in this world, you will find that you actually have super-powers. There are things that you can do that "normal" people cannot. In fact, all they can do is watch us breathlessly in amazement as we "do our thing". When we hyperfocus (aka, are "in the zone") we are capable of taking on gigantic projects and completing them with as much energy as when we started, as if we could go on and on. Not that we always finish, but we do in a strait 24 hours what "normal" people might work on for weeks. It's cause we're awesome. Unfortunately we can't bottle hyperfocus or step into the zone at will. At least, I don't think we can, but I'm going to be trying!

Anyway, welcome to Our Disorderly Life, and I hope that you will have a good time and enjoy the humorous side of our reality, and that together we find solutions to the negative aspects...or at least take the sting out!

No comments:

Post a Comment